Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hot Cross Buns



This recipe was a request from Merilee!!!

Hot Cross Buns

*These slightly sweet rolls are often served during Easter season.

4-4 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1-package active dry yeast
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
*Dash of cloves
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
3/4 c. raisins
1 egg white, beaten
1 tablespoon water

1. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, the yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and then put aside. In a saucepan heat and stir milk, butter, sugar, and salt until warm (120'F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture along with eggs, Beat with an electric mixture on low to medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high for another 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in raisins, and as much of remaining flour as you can.

2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough (about 5 minutes). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 2hours).

3. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two baking sheets; set aside. Divide dough into 15-20 pieces. Gently pull each piece into a ball, tucking edges under to make smooth tops. Place balls 1 1/2 in. apart on prepared dabbing sheets. Cover; let rise until nearly double in size (about 1 hour).

4. Preheat oven to 375'F. Using sharp knife, make crisscross slashes across the top of each dough ball. In a small bowl combine beaten egg white and water; brush over rolls. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden-brown. Immediately remove buns from baking sheets. Cool slightly and then drizzle Powered Sugar Icing on each bun. Serve warm!
(I used my Kitchen Aid mixer to mix and knead the dough, if you have one...use it; it makes the process more care-free! Also, I did not score my dough balls...I prefer a smooth top; I modified this recipe to perfection...ENJOY!)

Jennifer Zito's Homemade Cream Cheese Icing

8 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 1/3 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
4 tablespoons milk

Blend on high for 5 minutes...and you're golden!







8 comments:

  1. yum! these do look good :) i will have to try them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes, they are a little piece of heaven...and not too hard to make. Enjoy everyone...also, I would like to try something new if you guys do not mind posting a few recipes as well!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen! I actually have a day off tomorrow and plan on making these for breakfast. Cream cheese frosting?!? Yumm. . . are you sure it's not dessert?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try making hot-cross buns, and I think I'll chance it now(also, I'm a sucker for cream-cheese frosting, thanks for the added bonus recipe!). Your rolls look perfect, and I'm wishing I'd get off my lazy behind and make them right now! Nice kitchen-Aid mixer by the way, I'm pretty jealous!

    p.s.
    I hope that you were able to get your camera fixed:) Give your kids a hug from us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE TO SHARE RECIPES!!! I don't think that these are any worse than a Pop-tart or Toaster Strudel...lol. In fact I believe that they won't hurt a thing...I made sure that I removed all the "unhealthy" calories from the icing recipe...so you'll be good to go Merilee...lol. As far as my Camera...I have to send it in to Canon. Best Buy only guarantees it for 14 days...I was not very happy! We have only had it for 2 months. I am beginning to think that our luck in the camera dept. is lacking!!!
    I will certainly give the kids a hug from you guys. Tyler is a huge blog fan, and we look together daily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Kris got me my mixer for my 24th B-day...tell John you want one too...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy - sigh - I don't really enjoy cooking all that much - it seems like such a waste of time like sleeping and such. But, I would love to taste them; come on over a make me some!! (please)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will do; we are coming in June for "Granny Camp" and I plan on cooking up a storm for you all. Can't wait to see you guys; we miss everyone dearly!

    ps...I'll trade for some Strawberry Jam!!!

    ReplyDelete